*** ONLINE AS OF AUGUST 5, 2011 ***
    



Linger Light Dairy - Mahoningtown PA

Text Coming Soon!


Thompson Dairy, later known as Mahoning Dairy, was founded by John W. Thompson in Mount Jackson back in 1895. For many years Thompson delivered milk to homes from a horse-drawn wagon. In 1910 his son Richard “Dick” Thompson took over the company. The plant was rebuilt in 1918 and soon renamed as Linger Light Dairy. In about 1923 a new retail store (shown above) was opened along North Liberty Street in Mahoningtown. An office building/ice cream plant was also opened on West Cherry Street in 1936. A year later Dick Thompson sold the dairy to an ownership group that featured nine of his employees. The dairy prospered and by the early 1950’s it was the largest in Lawrence County. In 1959 the company opened a convenience store in downtown New Castle that became known (in 1967) as Tic Toc Food Mart. Dairy operations were phased out beginning in the late 1970’s and the company concentrated efforts on its chain of Tic Toc Food Marts. (c1940) Full Size


(May 1959) Full Size


(Jan 1967) Full Size

---

Comment

  1. They had the best ice cream

    Sam Culbertson · 02/07/2015 07:30 AM · #