Text Coming Soon!
This Queen Anne-style mansion, designed by architect S. W. Foulke, was built in the North Hill section of New Castle in 1890. It was the home of Leander Raney (1837-1907), a local industrialist involved in the milling, furnace, and railroad industries. He sold the home in late 1907 to wealthy banker David Jameson (1856-1927), who resided there until his death. His daughter Elizabeth Jameson McCreary later donated the home to Jameson Hospital in 1943 and it was converted into a residence for nurses. In the early 1960’s it became known as Castle Manor, a personal care facility for the mentally ill. It was ravaged by a fire on Saturday, June 13, 1998, and shuttered for well over a decade. The resident who started the fire was sentenced to 30 months in prison. The Goodge family is currently restoring the home for eventual use as an events center. (c1970) Full Size
The old Raney-Jameson mansion on North Jefferson Street is currently undergoing renovations. (c2013)