Text Coming Soon!
In about 1874 the American House, a boarding house and tavern, was opened by German immigrant Charles Fischer (1815-1896) in Enon Valley. Fischer was previously well known in Pittsburgh political circles and was involved in the oil and coal industry. He sold the property when he retired in the late 1880’s. In February 1889 the new owners, in financial trouble, signed the establishment over to a caretaker and secretly left town. It seems the doors were left open and patrons drank all the liquor at the bar – before the county sheriff seized the property. The property changed hands several hands, but was primarily owned by brothers Philip and Jacob Fischer beginning in about 1896. (c1910) Full Size