Text Coming Soon!
McKeesport residents Thomas E. Riley (1900-1987), a longtime golf enthusiast, and his wife Zetta purchased a 13.5-acre property in 1947 at the intersection of Route 224 and Old Youngstown Road in Union Township. It was located near the new Skyline Drive-In Theater and the Riley’s had plans to open a golfing range. Riley’s Golf Driving Range and associated golf store opened for business in July 1948 and a miniature golf course known as Playmor Golf was added a year later. Riley later added an archery range, batting cages, trampolines, playground, concession stand, and an arcade. In time the area of “Parkstown Corners” became a thriving teenage hangout as a bowling alley, skating rink, and go-kart track were
An advertisement announcing the grand opening of Riley’s Funspot. (Jun 1948)
Riley’s Golfing Center, after the addition of numerous other recreational activities, became known as Riley’s Funspot in about 1956. (c1962)
Riley’s Funspot was a longtime haven for local teenagers and had its heyday during the 1950’s and 1960’s. (2006)