*** ONLINE AS OF AUGUST 5, 2011 ***
    



Edinburg Bridge - Edinburg PA

Text Coming Soon!


The village of Edinburg, located along the south bank of the Mahoning River, was formally laid out in 1824. A small settlement soon began to prosper on both sides of the river. A covered bridge (shown above) was built at Edinburg in 1836-37 to allow access across the river. It connected modern day Robinson Street on the north bank and West Street on the south bank. (c1908) Full Size


The old covered bridge at Edinburg. (c1935) (Photo courtesy of Sherry Slater)


The old bridge spanned the Mahoning River at Edinburg for about 100 years, from its opening in 1837 until is was demolished in December 1936. (c1935) (Photo courtesy of Sherry Slater)


In August 1935 state officials in Harrisburg gave approval for funding to erect a new bridge across the Mahoning River at Edinburg. The Fort Pitt Bridge Company of Pittsburgh was contracted to build the bridge. The new metal truss bridge was built a short distance away to the west and also spanned the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad (B&O) tracks on the northern bank. I believe the covered bridge was torn down in December 1936 as the new bridge was opened to traffic. (c2004) Full Size


This bridge, which carried Routes 551/224 across the Mahoning River near the village of Edinburg, was torn down in 2011. (c2009)


This map reveals the location of the old covered bridge and its approaches. The covered bridge basically connected West Street in the village of Edinburg to Robinson Street on the northern bank of the Mahoning River. (c2008) Full Size


The metal truss Edinburg Bridge spanned the Mahoning River from 1936 until replaced in 2011. (c2008) Full Size


By 2010 the old metal truss bridge was slated for replacement as part of a $14.5 project – which also called for a reconfiguration of the approaches and nearby roads. In June 2011 work on a temporary bridge began alongside the old bridge. Once the temporary structure was completed the old bridge was demolished in late October 2011. The new permanent concrete deck bridge (shown above), located at the same spot of the old truss bridge, was opened for traffic in late 2012. It carries Route 224/551 across the Mahoning River as well as the tracks of the Norfolk Southern Railway (NS). (Aug 2013) Full Size

---

Comment