Text Coming Soon!
The Hazel Dell School, at the southeast corner of the intersection of Line Avenue and College Street, was opened in the borough of Hazel Dell in 1892. It initially had two classrooms but was expanded with additional rooms in the coming years. In September 1914, when Hazel Dell became the Fourth Ward of Ellwood City, the school fell under the Ellwood City school district. When the new North Side School opened nearby in the spring of 1917 this older school was closed. The school board initially tried to sell it, but found no takers. It may have been used as an overflow school for a while, but it was finally sold in 1922. The new owners, the congregation of the adjacent Bell Memorial Church, planned to build a new church at the site. The old school was razed beginning in September 1926 and construction began in early 1928. Progress was slow and before long the onset of the Great Depression brought the project to a halt. The partially completed building was abandoned altogether in early 1933 and sold a few years later. Several businesses occupied the building over the years and it later became a community center. The Bell Memorial Church repurchased the property in 1972 for use as a youth center. (c1905) Full Size