Text Coming Soon!
The New Castle school system underwent a period of vast expansion in the 1920’s. Among the plans drawn up were those for large new primary school to be located on Rose Avenue in East New Castle. Construction got underway in the summer of 1923 and the fifteen-classroom brick school was opened for classes for 463 students in early September 1924. The Rose Avenue School was officially dedicated on Friday, November 21, 1924. (c1988) (Photo courtesy of Ashley Harlan Druschel) Full Size
The Rose Avenue School, designed by architect Harry M. Wirsing, served the community as an elementary school for many years. It was closed along with several other schools during a consolidation effort in June 1988. (1924)
The Rhythm Band of the Rose Avenue School. (Jun 1945) Full Size
The kindergarten class of the Rose Avenue School. (c1924) (Lawrence County Historical Society photo) Full Size
The Rose Avenue Elementary School, slated to close in June 1988, was put up for sale beginning in October 1987. Several plans to convert the building into apartments fell through, before Butler developer Charles “Bud” Holbein Jr. assumed ownership in 1992. Two years later the City of New Castle and Holbein went to court to fight over control of the property. The city eventually won the bitter legal battle and had the school demolished in November 1995. After several plans to erect a senior citizens apartment building fell though, the city had the property subdivided into ten lots in 1999. In 2002 the construction of a handful of single family homes began at the site. (1988) Full Size