*** ONLINE AS OF AUGUST 5, 2011 ***
    



Highland United Presbyterian Church - New Castle PA

Text Coming Soon!


In October 1903 a small group of Presbyterians met and subsequently organized what became the Highland United Presbyterian Church. Property was soon acquired at the corner of Highland Avenue and Park Avenue and work on a small church began the following summer. The first service was held in the new church (shown above) on October 9, 1904, and the congregation quickly grew in the coming years. (1904) Full Size


After the Reverend C. J. Williamson became pastor in December 1917 and drive for a larger building commenced. It was decided to build a major addition to the old church and expand it greatly. The left hand portion of the photo above shows the old building. Work on the gothic-style stone church, designed by local architect W. G. Eckles (who was a member of the church), began in late 1922. The beautiful new church was dedicated on Sunday, February 22, 1925, with two sermons and an open house for the public. (c1940) Full Size


The church continued to grow in the coming decades and is still in service today. (Jul 2013) Full Size


(Jul 2013)


(Jul 2013)


(Jul 2013) Full Size


(Jul 2013)


(Jul 2013)


(Jul 2013)


(Jul 2013)


(Jul 2013) Full Size

---

Comment