Text Coming Soon!
In 1911 the Colonial Theater (shown above) opened at #1123 Seventh Avenue in downtown Beaver Falls. The 300-seat theater was a local hotspot during the silent movie era at that time. It was briefly closed in 1917 but reopened as the New Colonial Theater. A decade later, in 1928, Pittsburgh businessman Samuel Goodman purchased the theater and completely remodeled it in an upscale Spanish motif. A public contest was held to select a new name and it was soon reopened as the Granada Theater. (c1916) Full Size
The Granada Theater (shown above) became very popular with the advent of talking movies or “talkies.” It was later acquired by the Cook-Anderson Company of Beaver and was in operation until it closed in late November 1960. It subsequently served as home to several businesses until it was razed in 2008. Just next door to the right is Benson’s Department Store – and a bit further across 11th Street would be the Brodhead Hotel. (Photo courtesy of Bill Cwynar) (c1930) Full Size
A program from the dedication of the Granada Theater held on Tuesday, December 23, 1929. (1929) (Provided courtesy of Bill Cwynar)
An early 1931 advertisement for the Granada Theater. (1931) (Courtesy of Bill Cwynar)
A closeup showing the intricate design of the outside of the Granada Theater. (Photo courtesy of Bill Cwynar) (c2005) Full Size
The balcony area of the theater. (Photo courtesy of Bill Cwynar) (c1940) Full Size
The demolition of the grand ole’ Granada Theater commenced in late 2008. The one-story Heritage Valley Family Medical Center now occupies the site. (2008) (Bill Cwynar photo) Full Size