Text Coming Soon!
In the fall of 1906 two brothers from Youngstown, Ohio, named Sam and Albert Warner, purchased an old movie projector and a copy of the 1903 movie known as “The Great Train Robbery.” They soon began traveling around the region showing the movie in makeshift theaters known as nickelodeons. Sam and Albert, soon joined by brothers Harry and Jack, set up this theater in the Knox Block in New Castle. The “Bijou” name may have been associated with a makeshift theater in late 1906. (c1906) Full Size
The Warner Brothers first permanent theater was the Cascade Theater in the Knox Block on South Mill Street in New Castle. It opened on February 3, 1907, and was managed by Albert Warner and a brother-in-law named Dan Robbins. In November 1907 the Warner’s sold the theater to Robbins and moved on to bigger things in Pittsburgh and New York City. (1907) Full Size
Sam, Harry, Jack, and Albert Warner opened an office in the growing film colony of Hollywood in 1917. In 1923 they officially founded the Warner Brothers movie studio with Harry serving as President. Sibling rivalry was a longtime mainstay and Harry often clashed with his younger brother Jack. (c1926) Full Size
Albert, Harry, Sam, and Jack Warner. Sam was a true visionary and was instrumental in the company moving from silent films into the era of the “talkie.” He also served as a go-between Harry and Jack, who battled constantly and grew to despise each other. When Sam died in 1927 his brother Jack was devastated – and grew more and more difficult to work with in the coming years. (c1927) Full Size
This orphaned dog named “Rinty,” then a few weeks old, was rescued by an American soldier named Lee Duncan in war-torn France in September 1918. He was brought back to the United States and thoroughly trained. Rinty, stage name “Rin Tin Tin,” became a film star and worldwide celebrity during the 1920’s. He appeared in 27 films and his immense popularity saved the new Warner Brothers studio from financial ruin! He died in 1932 and his remains were returned to his native France for burial. (c1925)Full Size
A new historical marker was dedicated on South Mill Street in New Castle on Thursday, June 26, 2014. It replaced an earlier marker placed at the location in November 1994. (Aug 2015) Full Size
A project is well underway to establish the Warner Film Center, a replica of the original Warner Brothers theater and an associated museum, inside the Riverplex complex on South Mill Street. (Aug 2015) Full Size