*** ONLINE AS OF AUGUST 5, 2011 ***
    



K. Pulaski Club - Union Twnp PA

Text Coming Soon!


In September 1924 a charter was granted to the “Kazamierz Pulaski Club of Brotherly Love,” a Polish fraternal organization named in honor of the popular General Kazamierz Pulaski (1745-1779). The society, usually called the K. Pulaski Club or the Casimir Pulaski Beneficial Club, was located in the Oakland neighborhood of Union Township, site of a tight-knit enclave of Polish immigrants. The organization’s charter states its mission was to create a fund to benefit it’s members in need of financial assistance and to help Polish immigrants gain U.S. citizenship. The club was essentially formed by the merger of two similar fraternal societies – the St. Joseph’s Beneficial Society (founded 1906) and the Polish-American Citizens’ Club (founded 1908). The new K. Pulaski Club occupied the old home of the St. Joseph’s Beneficial Society of Elmwood Street/Atlantic Avenue, located near the Madonna Catholic Church. The club, which will celebrate its 90th anniversary in 2014, is still in operation today. (Aug 2013) Full Size


Over the years the club sponsored various teams in local baseball, basketball, and bowling leagues. The 1938 baseball team (shown above), which played in the City League, was led by manager Alexander “Lefty” Maslyk and captain Joe Ostrosky. In the playoffs this squad defeated the Union Civics in a series 2-1 and then defeated the West Side Tigers 3 games to 2 to take the West Side championship. They took the deciding game by a score of 4-2 on the strength of a 3-hitter thrown by pitcher Walter Soho. (1938) Full Size


(Aug 2013)


(Aug 2013)


(Aug 2013)


(Aug 2013)


(Aug 2013)

---

Comment

  1. Just a correction – the K Pulaski Club is located in Union Township, beside the former Madonna Church, now Prevailing Word.

    Diana · 08/04/2013 07:13 PM · #