*** ONLINE AS OF AUGUST 5, 2011 ***
    



Union Baptist Church - New Castle PA

Text Coming Soon!


The Afro-American congregation of the Union Baptist Church was organized with about a dozen charters members in March 1904 – who split away from the First Baptist Church. The congregation, with the Reverend L. J. Pollard at the helm, held its initial services in the City Hall Building and the GAR Hall until a small church was opened on Shadyside Avenue in 1909. In about 1914 the congregation bought a lot of property on West Grant Street for $1,650. A small wooden frame building was utilized as a house of worship beginning in 1918 until a new cement church (shown above) was dedicated on Sunday, June 28, 1925. The Rev. Clarence D. Henderson (shown above), who served as pastor from 1920-1938, led the effort to build the church. (New Castle News Tuesday, Jul 7, 1925)


Despite the fact that a determined fundraising saw that the church was erected with no mortgage, the congregation soon ran into financial difficulties. The property was seized by the Sheriff in late February 1930. With the generous support of the First Baptist Church and a public fundraising effort the congregation was able to repurchase the church within a few months. The church underwent many improvements over the years and the congregation celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2004. (Mar 2013) Full Size



The Reverend Joseph N. Moore took over as pastor in 1962 and helped revive the congregation. He served the church through the 1970’s. (New Castle News Saturday Aug 24, 1974)


(Mar 2013)


(Mar 2013)


(Mar 2013)


(Mar 2013)


(Mar 2013)


(Mar 2013)


(Mar 2013) Full Size

---

Comment