Text Coming Soon!
A German Lutheran congregation, which later became known as the St. Paul Lutheran Church, was organized in New Castle in August 1848. A small church was erected in 1851 at the intersection of Jefferson and Grant Streets, but was replaced with a large cathedral-style church – designed by architect C. C. Thayer – in 1899. The congregation merged with that of Bethany Lutheran Church in September 1964 to form the new Redeemer Lutheran Church. In 1970 the Trinity Lutheran Church joined the merger and the new Good Shepherd Lutheran Church was formed. The new congregation continued to meet in the old St. Paul building until the new Good Shepherd Lutheran Church was opened in Shenango Township in late May 1973. The old St. Paul’s Church was razed in November 1973. In late 1977 the Pizza Hut restaurant was opened at the location and is still in operation today. (c1970) Full Size
The old St. Paul’s Lutheran Church along North Jefferson Street was razed in late 1973. A Pizza Hut restaurant was erected there four years later and still occupies the spot today. (Jul 2013) Full Size