*** ONLINE AS OF AUGUST 5, 2011 ***
    



St. John's Lutheran Church - New Castle PA

Text Coming Soon!


In June 1895 the Reverend Nathaneal Schaffer, then serving in Greenville, began visiting New Castle and preaching to a small group of English Lutherans. This group formally organized themselves in October 1895, into what later became known as the St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church. The Reverend Joshua Miller, the first resident pastor, arrived in the summer of 1896 and guided the congregation for the next twenty-two years. Initial meetings were held in the old YMCA building, until the old Trinity Episcopal Church (shown above) on Neshannock Avenue (at North Street) was purchased in 1901. This building was home to the congregation for the next fifty-three years. (c1935) Full Size


The interior of the old Trinity Episcopal Church, which became the new home of the St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church in 1901. (c1910) Full Size


In April 1953 plans were finalized to build a new church along Highland Avenue (at Fairfield Avenue) in the northern limits of the city. Construction started a few months later on a new colonial-style church (shown above) which cost about $125,000. The new church, served by the Reverend William E. Fruth, was formally dedicated on Sunday, November 7, 1954. A home on adjoining property was acquired for use as a parsonage in 1962. The congregation celebrated its 100th anniversary with a special service held on Sunday, October 15, 1995. The church is still in service today. (c1970) Full Size


(Sep 2013) Full Size


(Sep 2013)


(Sep 2013)


(Sep 2013)


(Sep 2013)


(Sep 2013) Full Size

---

Comment