*** ONLINE AS OF AUGUST 5, 2011 ***
    



Church of the Nazarene of New Galilee - New Galilee PA

Text Coming Soon!


In the summer of 1907 the Reverend C. A. Imhoff, a regional evangelist, came to New Galilee and held a revival meeting in the Wesleyan-Holiness tradition. Afterwards, a small congregation of about thirty-five people was organized and began meeting in a local hall. A lot was soon donated on Washington Avenue and a small church (shown above) was erected and then dedicated on the weekend of January 25-26, 1908. The Reverend C. N. Cain served as the first pastor of the Pentacostal Church of the Nazarene of New Galilee, although the word “Pentacostal” was dropped in 1919. The church has been remodeled and expanded over the years and is still in service today. (c1975) Full Size


The leadership of the church. (1976) Full Size


The teachers of the Sunday School of the Church of the Nazarene. (1976) Full Size


The entire congregation of the Church of the Nazarene. (1976) Full Size


(May 2013) Full Size


(May 2013)


(May 2013)


(May 2013)


(May 2013)


As of May 2013 the church is served by four preachers, led by senior pastor Ed Hanley. Hanley will have been with the church for twenty-nine years in late 2013. Hanley told me an amusing story about how the church finally got air conditioning installed for the very first time in 2011. An old parishioner once said a church in New Galilee would get air conditioning “when pigs fly.” Well a few years back the younger members of the congregation took a large 55-gallon type plastic barrel, painted in pink and decorated it in the form of a pig, and used it for a collection container. It wasn’t too long before the church raised enough funds to pay for the installation of air conditioning. Long live the pig! (May 2013) Full Size


(May 2013)


(May 2013)


(May 2013)


(May 2013)


(May 2013)


(May 2013)


(May 2013)


(May 2013)


A small painting done by Katherine “Kay” Shields. (May 2013) Full Size


(May 2013)


(May 2013)


(May 2013)


(May 2013)

---

Comment

  1. Katherine Kay Shields also painted the Noah and the ark mural in the basement of the church

    Linda Foley · 08/04/2013 10:28 PM · #