*** ONLINE AS OF AUGUST 5, 2011 ***
    



Post Office Building (1935) - New Castle PA

Text Coming Soon!


In 1931 plans got underway to erect a new Post Office Building on the Diamond, to replace the old Post Office Building on North Street and to centralize the various federal government offices located in New Castle. Various lots were purchased or condemned costing a total of $199,000. The primary razing of the old properties commenced in January 1933 and the construction phase got underway soon after. The new Post Office Building, designed by the architectural firm of W. G. Eckles & Company and costing about $210,000, was dedicated on Saturday, December 15, 1934, and fully occupied within the next six weeks. The downtown building was in use until a new Post Office facility opened on South Cascade Street in 1982. This building on the Diamond was later remodeled into a commercial office building known as the Olde Post Office Complex. (c1940) Full Size


Full Size


(Mar 2013) Full Size


(Mar 2013)


(Mar 2013)


(Mar 2013) Full Size


(Mar 2013)


(Mar 2013)


(Mar 2013)


(Mar 2013)


(Jul 2013) Full Size


(Jul 2013)


(Jul 2013)


(Jul 2013) Full Size


(Jul 2013)


(Jul 2013)


(Jul 2013) Full Size

---

Comment