*** ONLINE AS OF AUGUST 5, 2011 ***
    



First Presbyterian Church - New Castle PA

Text Coming Soon!


In 1801 a small group of Presbyterians in New Castle organized themselves into a congregation known as the Lower Neshannock Church. This was the first church founded in the newly established settlement of New Castle and was for some time associated with the Slippery Rock Presbyterian Church near Ellwood City. The members initially held services around a “tent” on Grant Street, but moved locations several times in the coming years. In 1845 a brick church, which became known as the First Presbyterian Church, was erected at the corner of N. Jefferson & W. Falls Streets. The congregation thrived and in the early 1890’s it was decided to build a larger church at the same location. The old building was razed in 1893 and the impressive new church (shown above) was dedicated in 1896. The building has undergone periodic upgrades and renovations over the years, including the opening of a new education wing in September 1959, and in still in service today. (c1909) Full Size


The congregation of the First Presbyterian Church, founded back in 1801 as the Lower Neshannock Church, is one of the oldest in Lawrence County. (c1904)


This church, dedicated in 1896, is essentially the fifth building used the congregation. (c1910)


The McKinney Bible Class of the First Presbyterian Church, an organization founded by prominent businessman and religious leader Robert A. McKinney. This photo is marked as “Sept. 30, 1928.” (1928) Full Size


(Mar 2013) Full Size


(Mar 2013)


(Mar 2013)


(Mar 2013) Full Size


(Mar 2013)


(Mar 2013)


(Mar 2013)


(Mar 2013)


(Mar 2013)


(Mar 2013)


(Mar 2013) Full Size

---

Comment