*** ONLINE AS OF AUGUST 5, 2011 ***
    



Temple Israel - New Castle PA

Text Coming Soon!


In January 1926 a group of Jewish religious leaders of the Reform movement founded a small congregation in New Castle. They initially met in the homes of their members and also in the Elks Lodge in downtown New Castle. In March 1927 they were officially chartered as the “Temple Israel of New Castle” and decided to build a synagogue of their own. Ground was broken at the corner of Highland and East Moody Avenues in April 1927 and the impressive-looking Temple Israel (shown above) was completed in about September 1927 – with Austrian-born Rabbi Jacob B. Menkes in charge. (c1950) Full Size


The Temple Israel flourished for many years but in 1998, due to the dwindling local Jewish population, the congregation was forced to merge with that of the nearby Tifereth Israel synagogue – a local congregation practicing Conservative Judaism that was founded back in 1894. The combined group was renamed as the Temple Hadar Israel and took up residence just nearby on East Moody Avenue in the Tifereth Israel facility, which was opened back in May 1958. The old Temple Israel was later sold and today is home to the non-denominational Chapel Jubilee. (Mar 2012) Full Size


(Mar 2012)


(Mar 2012)


(Jul 2013) Full Size


(Jul 2013)


(Jul 2013)


(Jul 2013) Full Size

---

Comment