*** ONLINE AS OF AUGUST 5, 2011 ***
    



St. James Cemetery - Pulaski Twnp PA

St. James Cemetery is a Catholic burial ground located in Pulaski Township, Lawrence County, Pennsylvania. It is situated near the intersection of Villa Maria Road and Evergreen Road, just to the north of the campus of Villa Maria. It is essentially co-located with the Sisters of the Humility of Mary Cemetery (Villa Maria Cemetery).

As early as the late 1830’s visiting priests from Pittsburgh began holding services in private homes near New Bedford. A mission known as the “St. James” or “St. James the Apostle” was officially organized in 1847 and a small church was erected soon after. A cemetery was established at some point as well. Years later, in 1864, the Villa Maria orphanage was established on adjacent property. The St. James mission, later transferred to the Diocese of Cleveland, was closed in 1872. The church building was later torn down but the cemetery, presumably under the supervision of the Diocese of Cleveland, continued in use for local Catholics.

A new St. James the Apostle Catholic Church/Parish, now part of the Diocese of Pittsburgh, was organized in April 1949. A church building, erected along Route 422 in Pulaski Township, was dedicated in November 1953. The cemetery once again became associated with the newly revived St. James the Apostle Catholic Church and remains in active use today.


(Mar 2012)


(Mar 2012)


St. James Cemetery (at top) is essentially co-located with the Sisters of the Humility of Mary Cemetery – or Villa Maria Cemetery – beside the rural campus of the Villa Maria Community Center. The two Catholic burial grounds are separated by the row of pine trees. (c2014)


(Mar 2012) Full Size


(Mar 2012)


(Mar 2012)


(Mar 2012)


(Mar 2012)


(Mar 2012) Full Size


(Mar 2012)


(Mar 2012)


(Mar 2012) Full Size


(Mar 2013)


(Mar 2013)


(Mar 2013)


(Mar 2013)


(Mar 2013)


(Mar 2013)


(Mar 2013)

---

Comment