Text Coming Soon!
In 1933 Thomas J. Cunningham (1893-1966), a longtime employee of Butz Flowers, and Robert A Weingartner (1910-1996) founded the Cunningham & Weingartner Florist. They opened a store at #22 North Mill Street in downtown New Castle. They also operated a greenhouse facility on Old Butler Road in Shenango Township and in late 1956 opened the Garden Center in Neshannock Township. After Cunningham retired in about 1960 the business became known as Weingartner Florist. (1965) Full Size
In the early 1970’s, with urban redevelopment underway, Weingartner had to abandon his downtown store as it was razed to make way for the new Washington Centre business and shopping complex. The floral business, soon under the ownership of his sons George and Tom, operated solely out of the Neshannock Township location until they opened a new downtown store in the Towne Mall. The downtown store was later closed and today Weingartner’s Florist still operates at #2701 Wilmington Road in Neshannock Township. (c1964) Full Size