Text Coming Soon!
The one-room Ligo School was opened sometime in the late 1800’s northeast of New Wilmington in southern Mercer County. Over the years it mostly but not exclusively catered to the local Amish population, which was established along the Lawrence-Mercer County border in 1847. Amish children, who only go to school up to the eighth grade, attended the local public schools for many years. In c1975 the local Amish community took over the administration of their own school system. This small building, located at the rural intersection of Leesburg Station Road and the New Castle-Mercer Road, is still in operation as an Amish schoolhouse. (This wonderful drawing was done by Nancy Behm c1976). Full Size