*** ONLINE AS OF AUGUST 5, 2011 ***
    



Bethel United Presybyterian Church & Cemetery - North Beaver Twnp PA

Text Coming Soon!


In 1798 the Little Beaver Associated Presbyterian Church was organized and held services in a tent near Enon Valley. Property was acquired further to the north in 1804 and a log cabin church was erected and renamed as the Little North Beaver Presbyterian Church. A cemetery was started on the grounds as well. A wooden frame church was built in c1817 and sometime after this the moniker “Bethel Presbyterian Church” was adopted. Another church was built in 1837 and replaced with a newer building (shown above) that was dedicated in December 1870. This building, which has undergone numerous expansions and additions beginning in 1904, is still part of modern Bethel United Presbyterian Church. The congregation celebrated its 200th anniversary in 1998 and is still going strong. (c1902) Full Size


The Reverend John Smith Dice (1844-1924), born in nearby Poland, Ohio, became pastor of the Bethel Church in 1874. He bought a farm adjoining the church and raised four children with his wife Margaret McQuigg Dice. (c1900)


Dice, of German and English ancestry, went on to serve as pastor of the church for the next forty years. It was a sad day for the congregation when he preached his last sermon on Sunday, July 12, 1914. (c1900)


(Aug 2013) Full Size


(Aug 2013)


(Aug 2013)


(Aug 2013) Full Size


(Aug 2013)


(Aug 2013)


(Aug 2013)


(Aug 2013)


(Aug 2013)


(Aug 2013)


(Aug 2013) Full Size


(Aug 2013)


(Aug 2013)


(Aug 2013)


(Aug 2013)


(Aug 2013)


(Aug 2013)


(Aug 2013) Full Size


(Aug 2013)


(Aug 2013)

---

Comment