Text Coming Soon!
In 1920 two young immigrants from Greece, George Papazickos (1897-1976) and John Mitsos (1895-1972), opened a small restaurant on West Washington Street. They called their business Coney Island Lunch, which specialized in selling Greek-style hot dogs with their own secret chili sauce. They moved several times and eventually settled at #122 West Washington Street (current site of Eat N’ Park). In March 1971, with their longtime location slated for demolition and redevelopment, Mitsos and Papazickos, who both soon retired, moved to a new location on the Diamond – and renamed their business as MP Coney Island. A second restaurant was also opened in Neshannock Township in April 1972. Both of the restaurants are still owned by descendants of the two original owners. It’s because of their immense popularity along with other similar establishments that New Castle adopted the nickname of “the Hot Dog Capital of the World” in the 1970’s. (c1925) Full Size
The MP Coney Island restaurant on the Diamond opened in early 1971 after the old site on West Washington Street was slated for demolition and redevelopment. (Mar 2013) Full Size
The newer MP Coney Island opened on Wilmington Road in Neshannock Township in April 1972. (Mar 2013) Full Size
A couple of hot dogs and burgers loaded up with the chili sauce made famous in New Castle. (Aug 2013) Full Size