Text Coming Soon!
In about 1812, less than fifteen years after the settlement of New Castle had been laid out, the “Old Stone Corner” was built on the public square (“the Diamond”) on the northwest corner of Jefferson and Washington Streets. It was owned by Arthur Chennowith, who came from Virginia and initially opened it as a tavern – and then a hotel in 1816. When Chennowith came from Virginia he brought with him a African-American man named Black Jack, who was probably the first black man most folks in New Castle had ever seen. Chennowith died in 1826 but the tavern/hotel continued in business for over sixty years. It was torn down in the mid-1870’s and became home to a new building, which evangelical singer Ira Sankey purchased and gave to the YMCA in 1885. (c1865) Full Size