Text Coming Soon!
Lemoyne E. Phillis was born in Franklin Township, Beaver County, Pennsylvania, in April 1862. He attended the local schools, studied at Grove City College, and became a school teacher in the local area and for a time in Illinois. He subsequently opened a business in Wurtemburg and became the local postmaster, and then moved to Ellwood City and worked in a lumber yard and operated a grocery store. In 1906 he moved to Beaver Falls and opened, along with his wife Mary (Potter), the Hotel Phillis (shown above) on Seventh Avenue (and 15th Street). It was closed sometime in the 1920’s and Phillis moved on to be become a farmer in Mercer County. The building, currently home to the Beaver Falls Corner Drug Store, is still in use today. (1908) Full Size