Text Coming Soon!
The Home Street School, which cost $50,000 and was located on the East Side of New Castle, first opened for classes with 346 pupils in mid-October 1905. Its opening was delayed by construction issues and when finally completed was a whopping $20,000 (or 66%) over budget. In about 1921 the school was renamed as the Pollock Avenue School in honor of pioneering resident Dr. Joseph Pollock (1798-1856), a noted surgeon, politician, civic leader, and businessman. The school, later known as the Pollock Avenue Elementary School, was at the center of controversy in the mid-1960’s. Many local residents wanted the school closed due to its deteriorating state, low enrollment, and to save operating costs, while city officials sought to ensure they did not lose state funding due to overcrowding of other schools. The school was finally shutdown for good in June 1968. It was torn down in late 1970 and the property was sold for $3,500 in September 1973. (c1910) Full Size
This aerial view from 1939 shows the location of the old Home Street/Pollock Avenue School – which fronts Home Street – on the South Side of New Castle. (1939) Full Size
Students gather in front of the Home Street School. (c1911) Full Size