*** ONLINE AS OF AUGUST 5, 2011 ***
    



War & Veterans Memorial - Ellport (Ellwood City) PA

Text Coming Soon!


The original Ellport Honor Roll, located near the Ellport School, was dedicated during a ceremony held on Sunday, May 16, 1943. Leading the effort to see the memorial erected was local store owner Ira “Butch” West (1900-1970). Among the local civic and religious leaders who attended the ceremony was R. J. “Denny” Schill, the Secretary of the Ellwood City Chamber of Commerce. The wall contained the names of seventy-four men and woman from Ellport who were or had served in the military – and others were added later. At some point this wooden memorial deteriorated and was removed. (1960) (Photo courtesy of Richard Gartley) Full Size



A committee was formed in 2006 with the intention of erecting a memorial to honor the six servicemen from Ellport who were killed in action during World War II. Over the next few years a lot was purchased and cleaned, designs for a monument were drawn up, and funds were raised to cover the $58,000 cost. Personalized bricks, engraved with local servicemen’s names, were sold and then embedded into the memorial’s wall. The Ellport War & Veterans Memorial along Route 488 in Ellport was proudly dedicated during a small ceremony on Sunday, September 25, 2011. (Oct 2012) Full Size


(Oct 2012)


(Oct 2012)


(Oct 2012) Full Size


(Oct 2012)


(Oct 2012)


(Oct 2012)


(Oct 2012)


(Oct 2012)


(Oct 2012)

---

Comment