Text Coming Soon!
This two-story schoolhouse, which cost $1,500, was built in the village of Pulaski in the summer of 1876. It was located next to the Pulaski Presbyterian Church on Liberty Street. In July 1955 the newly formed Wilmington Area School District came into being and a building program was immediately initiated. A hotly-contested debate centered on whether to build a new primary school in Pulaski or New Bedford. Pulaski lost out and the New Bedford Elementary School opened, along with the modern Wilmington Area High School, in September 1958. Full Size
A class photo from the old Pulaski School, which was erected in 1876. (1919) Full Size
Students of the Pulaski School. (c1917) Full Size
In June 1958 the aging Pulaski School was closed for good and that fall about 150 local students were transported to New Wilmington for classes. It was certainly a bitter pill to swallow for Pulaski residents. The old school was bought by the neighboring Presbyterian Church and used for educational classes until it was later razed. (c1940) Full Size
Local residents continued a long and drawn-out fight to have a new school erected in Pulaski. In early 1965 it was finally authorized and property was soon acquired at the end of Shenango Street. Ground was broken on May 13, 1965, and work was generally completed by mid-February 1966. Finishing touches delayed the opening of the Pulaski Elementary School, which cost $248,000, until about six weeks later. The Pulaski building is still in use today, while in an ironic twist the New Bedford Elementary School has since been closed and sits abandoned. (Apr 2012) Full Size
The second grade class from the Pulaski Elementary School in 1978-79. Full Size
(Aug 2013) Full Size