Text Coming Soon!
William’s son Paul, a civic-minded leader often referred to as “Mr. New Castle,” later ascended to take over ownership from 1938-1968. The store moved into a small annex (shown above) attached to the Johnson Building at the north end of the East Washington Street Bridge in early 1950. (c1960) Full Size
In 1972, after the Johnson Building was slated for demolition, the business was moved to #120 East Washington Street (shown above). Paul’s son, the well-known humanitarian John “Jack” Butz, ran the company until he passed away in 2003 ending 152 years of family ownership. Butz Flowers & Gifts, currently owned by local pastor Dr. Mark Kauffman, is reportedly the second oldest floral business in the United States and remains a symbol of the days of downtown prosperity. (c1975) Full Size
The current location of Butz Flowers on East Washington Street – at intersection with South Apple Way. (Jul 2013)
Seemingly hidden at the former location of the Pearson Block/Johnson Building sits a little-known monument to Butz Flowers. (Aug 2013)
A closeup of the plaque on the monument near the north end of the East Washington Street Bridge. (Aug 2013)