*** ONLINE AS OF AUGUST 5, 2011 ***
    



First Presbyterian Church - Beaver Falls PA

Text Coming Soon!


In April 1867, in the wake of the Civil War, a group of Presbyterian leaders in Brighton (which became the Borough of Beaver Falls in 1868) met with the idea to form a new church. Their efforts soon led to the founding of the Trinity United Presbyterian Church. The first regular pastor was the Reverend Albert C. Dilworth who served from 1868-1871. Within a few years a new church was constructed on Eighth Avenue (at 9th Street) and opened for service in April 1870. In 1872 the distinguished Reverend James D. Moorhead (1830-1911), a native of Westmoreland County, took over as pastor and faithfully led the congregation for the next thirty-five years. In 1893 the congregation officially became known as the First Presbyterian Church. Years later, in December 1930, the congregation moved into a magnificent Gothic-style church (shown above) just two blocks away on Eighth Avenue. (c1940) Full Size


In 1925 the congregation began efforts to raise funds for a new church building. Two properties at the intersection of Eighth Avenue and 11th Street were purchased a year later. The George E. Savage, a well-known architect based in Philadelphia, was contracted to design the new structure. Groundbreaking took place on Sunday, March 4, 1929, and the new church was officially dedicated on Sunday, December 7, 1930. (c1935) Full Size


The First Presbyterian Church in Beaver Falls was designed by the Scottish-born architect George E. Savage (1874-1948). Savage, who began his own architectural business in Philadelphia in 1903, was known to have designed as many as 300 churches in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, and several other nearby states. The main chapel is to the right of the tower, while the left portion was designed to house Sunday school classes. (c1935) Full Size


In 2017 the parishioners proudly celebrated the 150th anniversary of the founding of the First Presbyterian Church. (May 2012) Full Size


(May 2012)


(May 2012)


(May 2012)


(May 2012)


(May 2012)


(May 2012)

---

Comment