*** ONLINE AS OF AUGUST 5, 2011 ***
    



Center United Presbyterian Church - Shenango Twnp PA

Text Coming Soon!


The Center United Presbyterian Church has its origins in 1820 when a small group of Presbyterians organized themselves – in what later became Shenango Township – as the Associate Reformed Church of the Slippery Rock. The church was more commonly known as “Big Meadows,” but years later became known as the Center United Presbyterian Church. The Reverend James Ferguson served as the first regular pastor beginning in 1823. Initial services were held outside until a small building was erected in 1825 and replaced five years later. A sturdy brick church (shown above), which cost $1,700 and considered impressive for its time, was erected in 1849. (c1880)


In the summer of 1890 the congregation began work on a large wooden frame church (shown above), which they occupied in late October 1890. In early 1913 the original cemetery, the final resting place of many early military veterans, was expanded towards the west along Center Church Road. An addition was made to the rear of the building in 1956, and during 1966 a basement was added under the old church. (c1960)


In October 1995 the congregation celebrated its 175th anniversary and is still going strong today. (c1960) Full Size


(Apr 2012)


(Apr 2012)


(Apr 2012)


(Apr 2012)


(Oct 2012)


(Apr 2012)


(Apr 2012)


(Apr 2012)


(Apr 2012)


(Apr 2012)


(Apr 2012)


(Apr 2012)


(Apr 2012)


(Apr 2012)


(Apr 2012)


(Oct 2012) Full Size


(Oct 2012)


(Oct 2012)


(Oct 2012)


(Oct 2012)


(Oct 2012)


(Oct 2012)


(Oct 2012) Full Size


(Oct 2012)


(Oct 2012)

---

Comment