*** ONLINE AS OF AUGUST 5, 2011 ***
    



Washington Twnp (Lawrence Co) PA

Lawrence County, Pennsylvania, was formed in March 1848 from parts of Beaver and Mercer Counties and initially contained thirteen townships. The old North Slippery Rock Township, previously a part of Mercer County, was split up in April 1854 to form the new entities of Washington and Scott Townships. In February 1855 the new township of Plain Grove was formed from carving away parts of those two townships, but in February 1859 Washington Township was slightly enlarged by assuming two small parcels of land from Scott and Plain Grove Townships.

The earliest settler in the area was probably George Hettenbaugh, who originally came from Germany and started a farm here in 1797. Hettenbaugh Run is named for his family. Another early settler was Henry Jordan Sr., who came from York County in 1802. Washington Township, in the northeast section of Lawrence County, is mostly made up of farmland and the only real settlement is a portion of Volant that lies in its northwest corner. The township has always retained its rural roots and as of 2010 had a population of 799 people in only 300 households.


(May 2012)


(May 2012)


(May 2012)


(May 2012)


(May 2012) Full Size


(May 2012)


(May 2012)


(May 2012)


(May 2012)


(May 2012) Full Size

---

Comment