Text Coming Soon!
Reynoldstown, located along Pittsburg Street (now East Washington Street) south of Croton Avenue, was part of Pollock Township until that entity became part of the city of New Castle in 1869. The three-story Reynoldstown School opened in 1858 with John Sterrett serving as the first principal. It was renamed several times in the coming years and known as the First Ward School and the Central School. In the summer of 1913 it was renamed as the W. N. Aiken School in honor of esteemed local educator William N. Aiken (1834-1917). It was often referred to as the Pearson Street School as well. The school closed in June 1939 and became home to various government offices during World War II. Afterwards it was utilized as a community center, a jewelers training school, a battery manufacturing plant, a toy factory, and a furniture repair business. (c1905) Full Size
The Reynoldstown School was opened in 1858 on a bluff (on Pearson Street) overlooking New Castle, in an area that became Pollock Township in 1862. This school was closed down in 1939 but remained in use for various private businesses over the years. (Lawrence County Historical Society photo) (c1915) Full Size
A reunion of former students gather at the old Reynoldstown School on Pearson Street in New Castle. (c1914) Full Size
Before the demolition could take place an arsonist’s fire gutted most of the building on the morning of Monday, October 31, 1994. The remains of the 136-year-old building were cleared away soon after. (c1980)