*** ONLINE AS OF AUGUST 5, 2011 ***
    



Mt. Pleasant Presbyterian Church - Darlington PA

Text Coming Soon!


A small group of Scotch-Irish settlers in Beaver County organized a Presbyterian congregation in about 1797. They were led by the Reverend Thomas E. Hughes, a graduate of the College of New Jersey (later Princeton University). They initially held services in a tent at “Mount Pleasant,” in what is now Wilson’s Cemetery near New Galilee. The congregation moved several times in the coming years until they finally built a church in the settlement of Greersburg (later known as Darlington) in about 1810. A new church (shown above) was built on Market Street in 1861. This church was in use for over a century until it was severely damaged by a severe storm in 1963. The building was subsequently torn down and replaced with a modern edifice at the same location. (c1961) Full Size


(May 2013)


(May 2013)


(May 2013) Full Size


(May 2013)


(May 2013)


(May 2013)


(May 2013)


(May 2013) Full Size

---

Comment