Text Coming Soon!
In 1867 a group of New York City-based actors and entertainers formed a social club known as the Jolly Corks. The initial purpose of this “drinking club” was to avoid laws against alcohol sales on Sundays. However, things soon changed as the members took on a more admirable mission as a charitable group aimed at assisting less fortunate people in the theater industry. The new name of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks (BPOE), or simply the Elks, was also adopted. Elks Lodge No. 348 was founded in Beaver Falls in 1896. In 1905 the Elks purchased property at the corner of Sixth Avenue and 9th Street, and constructed an impressive new lodge building (shown above) that opened in 1907. Elks Lodge No. 348, a charitable organization that assists the local community, is still open today. (c1909) Full Size
The Elks Lodge opened on Sixth Avenue in 1907. (c1935)
The lodge was built just across the street from the towering St. Mary’s Catholic Church, which was torn down beginning in late 2014. (c1930) Full Size
The dining area of the Elks Lodge. (c1915)
The meeting room utilized by the Elks. (c1915)
(Oct 2014) Full Size