*** ONLINE AS OF AUGUST 5, 2011 ***
    



Aiken School - Slippery Rock Twnp PA

Text Coming Soon!


The one-room Aiken School, located west of the village of near Princeton, was built in c1870. It was located at the northeast corner of the intersection of Old Princeton Road and Copper Road. An arsonist set a fire in this building and in the Hogue School on the early morning of Sunday, October 1, 1944. The Aiken School was saved by local firemen, but the Hogue School was burned to the ground. When Slippery Rock Township joined the Laurel Joint School District in July 1955 this school and the one-room Shaw and Rose Point Schools were all closed. The building was used as auction house for many years until it was lost to a fire on the morning of Sunday, May 31, 1970. (c1952)


An aerial photo revealing the location of the former Aiken School, which was lost to a fire in May 1970. A private residence now occupies the location at the northeast corner of the rural intersection. In the spring of 1999 a youth baseball field, known as Jones Field, was opened on the site of the former blacksmith shop. (Sep 1967)

---

Comment