*** ONLINE AS OF AUGUST 5, 2011 ***
    



Mahoning Methodist Church - Mahoningtown (New Castle) PA

Text Coming Soon!



The congregation of the Mahoning (or Mahoningtown) Methodist Church opened their first house of worship on North Cedar St. (and East Madison Ave) in c1867. It was replaced with a second church (pictured above) at the same location in 1894. This building was torn down by mid-1912 as work commenced on a much larger church. (c1905)


This postcard is an invitation to attend the church’s Rally Day event of what appears to be 1903. Rally Day is a traditional event held every September which kicks off the year’s Sunday School curriculum. This card was addressed to a young boy named Walter Rouse of Liberty Street in Mahonington and reads, “Hello Walter. Maybe your father and mother can come. Lets all be there.” Further research reveals Walter later worked for the Pennsylvania Railroad, moved to Baltimore to find work, and was tragically killed in a auto mishap during a trip to Atlantic City in October 1927. He was struck by a passing vehicle as he returned from getting his companions lunch at a roadside store in Camden, NJ. Walter was thirty-one years old and was laid to rest in his birthplace of Mount Union, PA. (c1903) Full Size


The third Methodist Church cost about $10,000 and was designed by renowned local architect W.G. Eckles. The basement was in use by late 1912 but progress on the main part of the church was slow. The building was finally dedicated on Sunday, May 11, 1913, with the Reverend S.M. Gordon (1858-1948) serving as pastor (from 1912-1916). The church and neighboring parsonage were both paid off in full in May 1921. (c1915)


The Methodist Church in Mahoningtown, after about 125 years of service, closed its doors in 1992 and the building was soon sold to become the new home of the non-denominational Church of Genesis. (Mar 2012)


(Mar 2012)


(Mar 2012)


(Jul 2013) Full Size


(Jul 2013)


(Jul 2013)


(Jul 2013) Full Size


(Dec 2016)


(Dec 2016)

---

Comment