*** ONLINE AS OF AUGUST 5, 2011 ***
    



City Founder Henry W. Hartman - Ellwood City PA

Text Coming Soon!


Henry W. Hartman (1850-1913), with a vision of creating a manufacturing center, founded Ellwood City in 1889. While heading up the Pittsburgh Company he helped the settlement expand and guided it through its early days. (c1895)


The Hartman residence, built in 1893, sits at #329 Fourth Street in Ellwood City. It was in the Hartman family until it was sold in 1923. The house, which sits adjacent to the Hartman Elementary School, is currently the home of the local Century 21 real estate office. (c1900)


Hartman held interests in many business ventures with Ellwood City. This drawing shows the related plants (fence and mat works) of the Hartman Manufacturing Company, which relocated from Beaver Falls to Factory Avenue in Ellwood City in 1893. Hartman sold his interest in this venture in 1898 and it was dismantled in 1901. Full Size


A turn of the century advertisement detailing the quality fencing made by the Hartman Manufacturing Company of Ellwood City. (c1899) Full Size


The Hartman School, which opened for classes in September 1924, was named in honor of the founder of Ellwood City. The building was replaced with the new Hartman Elementary School in the late 1990’s. (c1940) Full Size

---

Comment

  1. that was the best school ever

    JORDAN SEPP · 04/18/2014 08:33 PM · #