Text Coming Soon!
The Hazel Dell Schoolhouse, better known as the Old Brick School, was built on Glen Avenue (just east of the modern 5th Street Bridge) by local brickmason Adam Shoemaker in 1850. It stood on the south end of where the Old Covered Bridge spanned the Connoquenessing Creek. This school, actually in what became Ellwood City and not Hazel Dell proper, served the local community until it was closed in 1895. Full Size
A class photo taken at the Old Brick School in what had recently become the settlement of Ellwood City. The chalkboard is marked as, “Hazel Dell School Nov 12, 1889.” The teacher, in dark dress at right end, is Miss Ada McMillan. Their are only eleven different surnames among these twenty-nine students and they are Aiken, Book, Burns, Cole, Deemer, Francis, Hazen, Johnston, McMurdo, Newton, and Nye. Full Size