*** ONLINE AS OF AUGUST 5, 2011 ***
    



First/Christ Presbyterian Church - Ellwood City PA

Text Coming Soon!


In July 1891 a handful of local Presbyterians gathered at the Old Brick School on Glen Avenue to organize what soon became known as the First Presbyterian Church. The group met at various locations over the next few years until a small brick church, which cost $3,700, was built on the Pittsburgh Circle in 1895. The property, at Spring Avenue and 4th Street, was donated by the Pittsburg Company. (c1905) Full Size


The congregation grew quickly and in the summer of 1911 the old building was demolished and construction got underway on a massive stone church (shown above) at the same location. The new edifice, designed by Altoona-based architect Julian Millard, was officially dedicated during ceremonies held on Sunday, November 3, 1912. The church was heavily damaged by a stubborn fire on the morning of Sunday, April 23, 1950, but was soon remodeled and reopened. In December 1960 the church changed its name to Christ Church United Presbyterian, which was altered again in c1983 to the present Christ Presbyterian Church. (c1925) Full Size


(Dec 2011)


(Dec 2011)


(Dec 2011)


(Dec 2011)

---

Comment