Text Coming Soon!
A class photo, in which the chalkboard appears to read “Scotland School March 1889,” in front of the one-room Scotland School. This school was built at the end of Scotland Lane where it now meets West State Rd/Rt. 224. An earlier Scotland School either burned or torn down and this sturdy brick building was built on the same site in 1885. This primitive school, with a stove heater and no indoor plumbing, was in use for many decades until it closed in June 1955. At the time of its closure it only housed first and second grade students. It was sold in early 1956 and was used by various businesses up through the 1970’s. It was later razed – possibly in the 1980’s – and the site is now home to the Pizza Joe’s restaurant. This former one-room school is not to be confused with the four-room Scotland Lane School (old Union High School), which opened nearby in 1916 and was expanded to twelve rooms in 1922-23. (1889) Full Size
A class photo from the one-room Scotland School in Union Township. Kaye Frye is seated in second row – 2nd from left end. (c1948) (Photo courtesy of Kaye Frye Keffer) Full Size
Another class photo with Kaye Frye is the center of the second row. (c1948) (Photo courtesy of Kaye Frye Keffer) Full Size