*** ONLINE AS OF AUGUST 5, 2011 ***
    



Post Office Building (1906) - New Castle PA

Text Coming Soon!


Construction of a new Post Office Building, which cost about $66,000, began on North Street in the spring of 1905. Some of the massive stones utilized weighed as much as thirteen tons. The stones were unloaded by train at the Union Station and hauled across the Pittsburg Street Bridge (East Washington Street Bridge). This weakened the bridge and in October 1905 a new route across the West Washington Street Bridge was necessary. The new building, housing several federal offices, opened slightly behind schedule in August 1906 and was quickly outgrown. The issue of enlargement was discussed in the early 1920’s, but a decade later approval was granted for a new building – which opened on the Diamond in January 1935. This older building became home to the offices of the WPA, then housed the New Castle Library from 1938-1981. It’s still in use as an office building known as the Olde Library Office Complex. (c1907)


A group of postal workers and mail carriers pose in front of the U.S. Post Office building on North Street in downtown New Castle. (c1925) Full Size




(Mar 2013) Full Size


(Mar 2013)


(Mar 2013)


(Mar 2013)


(Mar 2013)

---

Comment