*** ONLINE AS OF AUGUST 5, 2011 ***
    



Ellwood City/Connoquenessing Country Club – Ellwood City PA

Text Coming Soon!


The Ellwood City Country Club was temporary located in modern-day Ellport from 1912-1916, but moved to a permanent location in early 1917 when land and a farmhouse were purchased from Dr. Judson M. Hazen (1846-1929) along the Connoquenessing Creek in North Sewickley Township. Additional property was also acquired to expand the property, where members soon enjoyed playing tennis and golf and attending dances and picnics. (c1928)


A temporary five-hole golf course was constructed in 1917 while a top quality nine-hole golf course, designed in part by the renowned Emil “Dutch” Loeffler Jr., was being laid out. The new course opened in 1919 and years later was expanded to a full eighteen holes. The former farmhouse, where pioneering resident Dr. Hazen practiced medicine for some time, was converted into a clubhouse until a new modern clubhouse (shown above) was opened in late 1927. (c1928)


The Ellwood City Country Club was renamed as the Connoquenessing Country Club in about 1950. (c1940) Full Size


Country Club patrons enjoy an afternoon out on the creek. (c1920) Full Size


(May 2012)


(May 2012)


(May 2012)


(May 2012)


(May 2012)


(May 2012)

---

Comment