*** ONLINE AS OF AUGUST 5, 2011 ***
    



Municipal Building - Ellwood City PA

Text Coming Soon!


Ellwood City’s first City Building, as the facade reads, was built on the corner of Sixth Street and Beaver Ave in 1897. The two-story structure was designed by architect R.A. White. A small one-story jail was attached to the rear and for a time the main building housed the horse-drawn equipment of the fire department as well. (c1915)


The old City Building stood on the northwest corner of Sixth Street and Beaver Avenue. (c1965) Full Size


The Ellwood City Municipal Building, a WPA-funded project designed by architect Byron J. McCandless, was formally dedicated on July 9, 1937. It replaced an earlier municipal building located nearby on Sixth Street that was built in 1897. This magnificent new structure was built on the former site of the Central Public School, which was closed in 1931. (c1940) Full Size



An artist’s rendering of the proposed Ellwood City Municipal Building. (c1936) Full Size


The Ellwood City municipal building, which sits on the former site of the Central Public School. Photo taken Apr 2010.


A view of the bell which once graced the top of the old Central Public School. When the school was razed in 1935 the bell was put in place atop Lincoln High School. In 1975 the bell was removed from its perch atop Lincoln and restored. It was returned to the former site of the old Central School (now the municipal building) in June 1976 as part of the American Bicentennial celebration. Photo taken Apr 2010.


(Aug 2012)


(Aug 2012)


(Aug 2012)


(Aug 2012)


(Aug 2012)


(Aug 2012)


(Aug 2012)


This gas station now occupies the former site of the original City Building at Sixth Street and Beaver Avenue. (Aug 2012)

---

Comment