Text Coming Soon!
This plant, built and initially operated by the Shinn brothers, opened in 1874 as the Wampum Cement Company. The facility was renowned for its quality product and supplied cement for such projects as Brooklyn Bridge (built between 1870-1883). It was purchased and the Crescent Portland Cement Company in 1901 and almost completely rebuilt. It was renamed as the Medusa Portland Cement Co. (later Medusa Corp.) in 1929. Years later it was purchased by Southdown and then CEMEX. (c1910) Full Size
The cement works at Wampum after the facility was purchased by the Crescent Portland Cement Company in 1901 and extensively upgraded. (c1906) Full Size
An advertisement for the Medusa Cement Company. (1964)
The cement works in Wampum, which opened in 1874, is the oldest, continuously operated portland cement manufacturing plant in the United States. (c1920’s)
A wintertime view of the Medusa Plant in Wampum. (c1955)
Famous railroading artist Howard Fogg (1917-1996) rendered this painting of a Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Railroad (P&LE) train steaming by the massive cement plant in Wampum sometime in the 1950’s.
The entrance to the cement plant at dawn. (Mar 2012)