Text Coming Soon!
Joseph P. Sheriff (1829-1926), a Civil War veteran who was involved in the oil and lumber business, owned property on the northern side of the village of New Bedford. He started selling off lots in 1902 and the “Sheriff Addition,” along the New Bedford & Hubbard Road (now Evergreen Street), was opened up to the building of new homes. Most of the houses were erected on the west side of Evergreen Street – north of the Oak Street Extension. Additional lots were sold of by the estate of Joseph Sheriff in 1926-1927. Most of the homes shown above are still standing today. (c1920) Full Size