*** ONLINE AS OF AUGUST 5, 2011 ***
    



Swedish Lutheran Church - New Castle PA

Text Coming Soon!


Swedish missionaries began holding sermons in New Castle as early as 1889 and discussions of opening a Lutheran church dedicated to Swedish immigrants began soon after. The congregation that became known as the Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Zion Church of New Castle was organized in February 1894. A church building (shown above) was later erected on N. Crawford Avenue in Croton and opened in late December 1895. The church, which maintained close ties with the Swedish community in Bessemer, was in service until dwindling attendance saw it closed down in about 1939. The building was sold in 1940 and became the new home of the United Brethren Church in Christ. (1972)

---

Comment