*** ONLINE AS OF AUGUST 5, 2011 ***
    



Pearson Mill - New Castle PA

Text Coming Soon!


Henry Pearson bought an old grist mill on the Neshannock Creek in 1856. It was located near where modern-day Neshannock Avenue intersects with Rural Avenue. He rebuilt the grist mill and dam (shown above) and operated a successful business known as Pearson Mill. In 1868 he sold the mill to his sons Bevan and Warner Pearson and his son-in-law Capt. John M. Clapp. They operated the grist mill (for a time as Pearson, Clapp, & Company) until about 1888. The dam was washed away in the 1890’s and much of the property was sold to make way for future development of roads and homes. The dam was rebuilt in 1920 to form a popular swimming hole known as Pearson’s Mill – or sometimes as Neshannock Beach. Henry Pearson had previously acquired a saw mill in 1830 that was located nearby on the Neshannock Creek. After he sold the saw mill in 1868 it was torn down and replaced with what became the “paper mill.” The name Pearson Mill Road (generally renamed Cascade Street in about 1901) comes from that old mill. (1870)


(Nov 1883)

---

Comment