*** ONLINE AS OF AUGUST 5, 2011 ***
    



Conn Welding/Conn Construction - New Castle PA

Text Coming Soon!


Two brothers named Converse Branscome (1905-1993) and Maynard Branscome (1914-1991) founded Conn Welding in about 1935. The company specialized in the rehabilitation and construction of bridges. An office was established near on Diamond Way, but relocated to S. Croton Ave in about 1940. A machine shop was added in 1937 and the company became known as Conn Welding & Machine. The company opened a new facility at the west end of West Washington Street in 1959. (1937)


The company received numerous state contracts to repair many of the bridges in Lawrence County and the surrounding areas. The photo above depicts Conn Welding employees working on beams as part of the rehabilitation of the Mahoning Avenue Viaduct in early 1961. (Jan 1961)


The company split in about 1965, with older brother Converse Branscome (on left) – with his son William Branscome – establishing Conn Construction on Industrial Street in Mahoningtown. This company was in operation until it became Bridges & Towers Inc. in 1997. Conn Welding & Machine, headed by Maynard Branscome (on right), closed down in 1980. (Jan 1961)

---

Comment