*** ONLINE AS OF AUGUST 5, 2011 ***
    



Eckert's Bridge - Slippery Rock Township PA

Text Coming Soon!


A covered bridge known as Eckert’s Bridge spanned the Slippery Rock Creek about 1.5 miles south of the bridge at McConnell’s Mill. It was erected in 1852 and named for John Nicholas Eckert (died 1906), a man who operated a mill on the west side of the creek at that location. The covered bridge grew dangerous over the years and a lumber truck almost feel through it in early December 1933. After a truck fell through another nearby covered bridge (Breakneck Bridge) in August 1952, both aging spans were closed to traffic. Both were slated for replacement and the new Eckert’s Bridge (shown above) was opened for traffic in October 1954. Eckert’s Bridge was essentially isolated when Breakneck Bridge and parts of Eckert’s Bridge Road, Breakneck Bridge Road, and Cheeseman Road were closed due to massive erosion in 1979. (Oct 1954)


(Feb 2016)


(Feb 2016)


(Feb 2016)


(Feb 2016)


Eckert’s Bridge Road on the west side of the creek (visible straight ahead in this photo) has been abandoned for many years. Studies have been undertaken concerning the feasibility of fully reopening Eckert’s Bridge Road, but nothing has come of those efforts. Eckert’s Bridge is generally accessible by vehicle from the eastern side – but only on foot during the winter months. (Feb 2016)


(Feb 2016)


(Feb 2016)


(Feb 2016)


(Feb 2016)

---

Comment